Sunday, March 11, 2007

YM

I spent a couple of hours yesterday watching one of my students graduate from recruit to official member of the local Young Marines group. This particular student has had a rough year and is a challenging child. He's very bright and incredibly headstrong. Although he is quite capable, he has struggled immensely this year. I am hoping that being part of a group that encourages respect for others, hard work, and responsibility, we can get him on the right path before things go too far astray. This is the one goal he has been willing to work for all year, and I was thrilled to be invited to his graduation. I sat through the whole thing hoping that this would be a turning point for him. At least I know that he will have a support group once he leaves my classroom. I am especially comforted, because the commanding officer and his wife are friends of mine who I trust completely to look out for him and do what they can to personally see that he succeeds. Although I am not a fan of the military, I am a big fan of this group and what I have seen them do for kids, especially ones who need a strong, guiding force in their lives.

No comments: