Thursday, March 22, 2007

Egg Babies

Each year, the fifth graders spend 2 days looking after hard-boiled eggs. Don't ask me why, I truly don't know how it got started and I don't know why it continues. I just know that they get very involved in the project.

Anyway, today we did the drawing and passing out of eggs. The kids had brought in baskets and boxes filled with fluffy pillows and tiny dolls clothing in preparation. They got their egg babies, complete with birth certificate, journal, and $10 to spend on babysitting if necessary. The idea is for them to demonstrate responsibility for this fragile object. Within 2 minutes, one of the eggs had rolled off of a desk. I fear for the next generation!

Actually, I am quite pleased with the "parenting" of my students. Although there were a few minor mishaps, most of the eggs were still in excellent condition by the end of the school day. There was one egg that got tossed and rolled and generally mistreated, but most of them were quite cared for. I am always amused watching my big manly 5th grade boys carefully protecting little pink eggs. They always talk tough beforehand - "If I get a girl egg I'm gonna kick it out the window!", but when it comes right down to it, they always get attached.

Funniest moment of the day: My biggest, toughest boy ended up with twin girls. He made one a mohawk out of paper. He spent the whole day carrying them around in the pockets of his hoodie. Very cute. And very amusing.

No comments: