Tuesday, March 20, 2007

In The Classroom

Things that really happened today.

- - - - - - - - -

Fifth graders are funny.

Teacher: So, what can we draw that will help us remember the meaning of the word "urgent"?
Student: Well, I drew a picture of a stick figure sitting on a toilet and yelling for someone to bring him toilet paper.

Teacher: The next word in the spelling test is breathless. The girl was so beautiful that she left me breathless. Breathless.
Student: What's her number?

- - - - - - - -

I also had my students break into applause today. We are currently discussing the Revolutionary War. This morning, after discussing the Stamp Act and the Declaration of Independence, I got a little carried away. I am always greatly moved by the courage the colonial men and women showed in banding together and protesting the tyranny of King George (don't worry, the parallels aren't lost on me). They saw a wrong, and they did everything they could to right it - protests, boycotts, petitions, gatherings - and all knowing that they were risking their lives. Anyway, I tried to connect these events to my students. With great enthusiasm, I reminded them that they would have to be just as brave and remember to question and evaluate all that they were asked to do by their peers/teachers/leaders/etc. when they got into middle school and beyond. That, by virtue of living in the US, it was their right and their responsibility to think for themselves, fight injustice, and speak their minds. I must have been a little...emphatic...because when I came to an end, one of my girls said, "Well, that calls for applause" and several of them clapped. Whether it was for what I was saying or the fact that I had finally stopped, I don't know. :)

- - - - - - - - -

I had someone show up late today. When I asked why I was told, "I needed to finish my math homework." Ugh.

- - - - - - - - -

I spent many hours going to math training last year. A couple of the most highly acclaimed math teachers in our district revamped our math curriculum and we were being instructed on how to complete it. While I appreciate having a run-down of what needs to be covered, and when each thing will be assessed by the district, I am having trouble with the daily aspect of the new plan. The flow from one topic to the next doesn't suit my needs (or the needs of my students) and the materials they gave us, while copious in amount, often doesn't provide me with just what I am looking for. This means that I STILL spend hours reorganizing the schedule and creating activities that address the necessary ideas. Bleh. It's so frustrating to spend 10 minutes flipping through page after page of math pages only to find that everything is either too convoluted or too boring or too pathetically easy.

- - - - - - - - -

I have found many positive things to focus on regarding the (almost certain) move to the new school. While I am still saddened to be leaving the nest in which I have strengthened my teaching wings, I am certain that thinking positively will do one of two things:
1. The universe will see what a good sport I am being and decide to miraculously let me stay where I am.
2. The transition will be made smooth and easy by my cheerful and upbeat attitude.
Either way, life is golden. :)

No comments: