Thursday, March 01, 2007

I can't hardly believe it. I managed to leave school carrying nothing but my empty lunchbox and my purse. No papers, no textbooks, no nothing. Of course, I had to stay until 6:00 pm to get my report cards done first, but still...

- - - -

I have been calling in all week to find out if I have to go to court for jury duty. I thought today would be the last time, but instead they tell me I need to call in tomorrow at noon. I don't know which is worse - the idea that I might be expected to call in at noon, get a sub, and be in court sometime before the end of the day or the idea that I might have to go in on Monday. I wish I had called to reschedule it for summer. I really wouldn't mind going, but it is SO disruptive to my job.

- - - -

I liked the Penn and Teller show "Bullshit" during its first two seasons, but we're watching the third season now and they seem to be working hardest for shock value rather than debunking of stupid ideas. Or maybe it just bothers me that now they are arguing against things in which I believe.

- - - -

This has been the longest week ever. After having two Mondays in a row off, and being out of my classroom at least once a week for the last 2 months, I am finding it quite difficult to get through a 5 day work week. Poor me.

- - - -

I have been reading the book Empire by Orson Scott Card. Although he is a little bit crazy in his personal political beliefs, he does a nice job of presenting multiple sides of a political debate. This book discusses what would happen in the US if there should be a Blue vs Red battle for supreme control. The most interesting point he makes (in my humble opinion) is that there are huge numbers of mostly sane people on both sides of the fence who just want to go on with their lives. It's the few on the radical edges of the spectrum who call for violent end to the other side. I truly feel that when we start listening to those radical few and stop working for compromise, that's when the real problems begin. Of course, that is the opinion of someone who has never had to compromise my core beliefs in an attempt to maintain peace. How would I react if my way of life were openly attacked? Perhaps I would be more willing to follow the path of those "Progressive Restoratives" in the book, fighting to wrestle control from the hands of a dangerous and close-minded group. I don't know. The book has proven to be food for thought, at any rate. Whether they are thoughts worth listening to (especially after an extra long day at school), I am even less sure.

- - - -

I am reaping the reward of teaching my students to be free and independent thinkers. They are all acting and thinking freely. They keep trying to make their own decisions and choose their own actions. The little stinkers actually think that when I told them to "Question Authority" I was including myself. They say what they are thinking, question my decisions, and debate every issue.

I couldn't be prouder.
Or more frustrated! :)

- - - -

Good night. I will return soon. Peace.

No comments: