Monday, June 07, 2004

Can you relate?

My students and I discussed the death of former president Reagan this morning, as I am sure many teachers did. This is a teachable moment not to be passed up. I found it particularly important because of the connections I was making in my own head.

You see, I was in 4th grade when Reagan was president. He was the very first president that I was aware of. Before Reagan politics were something that happened to adults. I didn't know who was running the country, I didn't understand that I was part of a country that needed running and I didn't care in the least. I had June-berries to eat and sandy hills to play on, man. I was busy.

Then Reagan came into the picture. His political agenda, particularly his stance on nuclear weapons, was something that got my parents quite riled up. There were many dinner table discussions about the Cold War, nuclear disarmament, and the Star Wars program. I started to absorb some of the importance of this man called Reagan. (Or as he was called in my house - Ronnie Ray-Guns.) To really add to my understanding I happened to choose Reagan's name out of a hat when it came time to write our 4th grade report on a president (this even after I crossed fingers on both hands and chanted "anyone but Reagan" several dozen times).

I don't know much about Reagan, and I will be the first to admit that most of what I DO know is quite biased. However, he is eternally etched into my brain as "the president of the United States". He is a major part of my political awareness and my political development.

So today, I told my students about the report I did on Reagan (I didn't tell them the crossed fingers part), and I explained to them how it felt to suddenly realize that the president was an important man. I had them think about how George W. Bush is the first president that most of them will remember as they grow up. I had them think back to when he was elected. They were in 1st grade at the time and most had no recollection. I truly enjoyed seeing them all think about politics and elections and presidents. Some of them might even remember this conversation when they are older, mourning the passing of G.W. with their children.

How did you first become aware of politics? Who were the big players?

No comments: