Monday, June 28, 2004

Good Luck

Iraq has taken over leadership of itself as of today. I wish I could be happy for them, but there are things that cause me to hesitate...
1. I know that this changes nothing for our young men and women over there. They will still be there and they will still be in danger.
2. I know that it is easier to SAY you are giving someone autonomy than to DO it. We will really be handing over leadership when we allow them to make their own decisions and make their own mistakes. This is not something I see happening anytime soon.
3. I know this will change nothing for the individuals living in Iraq. No matter what their household politics/affiliations they will continue to pay hugely for some basics and simply do without others. They will still risk their lives going outside for everyday errands.
Despite all of this, I truly do wish them all the best of luck with this new endeavor. I mostly hope that we have the sense to stay out of things that aren't our business, the backbone to continue to provide the support that we have promised and the wisdom to know which is appropriate and when.

No comments: