Monday, June 28, 2004

Wha..?

"Attention All Staff - the office will be closing at 4 PM. If you intend to stay past 4 PM, please sign in now, as we will be setting the alarm otherwise. Thank you."

Hearing this on the PA system, I checked the clock and estimated that I could just finish the project I was working on, haul one last load to the new classroom, and lock up just in time to leave at 4 PM. And I was right. At exactly 4 PM, I walked toward the front door. Passing the office, I saw some of the staff watching me, obviously waiting for everyone to leave so they could lock up and end their day. I got the feeling that they were holding me responsible (and rightly so, I suppose) for the fact that their evenings hadn't begun already.

I wish I could say that I have a close, friendly relationship with these two. Because I like to have close, friendly relationships with people. It is so much easier than the alternatives - always phrasing your words carefully to avoid offense, walking on eggshells when asking for help. I have a policy of doing for myself things that they technically should be helping with. It is just easier and infinitely more pleasant.

Gruffly, he asked, "Do you know who that Volkswagon belongs to?"

"No idea, sorry." I said, shaking my head and heading for the door.

"'Cause it's parked right next to you." He accused. "It's a white Volkswagon. I thought they came with you."

Hmm. I am not sure why he didn't believe me the first time, but I looked him in the eye, smiled and said, "Nope. I came alone." I wasn't about to admit that I had the body of the owner of that lonely white Volkswagon hidden in my newly emptied cupboards. And that it would be a long time before they could lock up and go home. I wished them both a good night and walked out to my own car.

No comments: