Thursday, February 02, 2006

Colonial Daze

We are going to be studying the colonial period of American history for the next couple of months. My kids will be researching and becoming important people (complete with costumes). They will be learning about Jamestown, colonial/native american relationships, Ben Franklin and his pals, the Revolutionary War, and so much more. The best part, though, is that I get to teach them about colonial manners. They have to stand when adults come into the room, call me Tutor Hommel, and rise from their seats with hands clasped in front of them to answer a question. Ha! That is fun. The principal has already said she will pop in from time to time to see them stand for her. The hard part is that I have to be ready to answer all kinds of questions about a period in time that I pretty much ignored while I was in school. I'm doing all kinds of reading and scrambling to keep ahead of them.

No comments: