Monday, February 20, 2006

My Kind of Shopping

We ventured into Temecula today. We could do that because I, like much of the country, am enjoying a three day weekend. In my humble opinion, all weekends should consist of three days: one for cleaning house, one for catching up on grading, and one for being lazy. Two days just doesn't cut it. Something always gets left out and unfortunately, it's usually the lazy day.

Anyway. The trip to Temecula. We had some shopping to do.

First, we stopped at Kohl's. They were having a President's Day sale and I was hoping to find something to spice up my wardrobe. I'm not much for clothes shopping, but every once in a while I get tired of wearing the same old leftovers day after day. It's time to add a little somethin'-somethin' to the closet. No luck. Everything was overpriced even AFTER the 30-50% discounts. Or too ugly. Sheesh. I did manage to find a nice serving bowl the matches my dishes and a fun t-shirt. The best part? I had a gift certificate left over from Christmas so I didn't spend a penny. I even have a balance left over for the next time I go. Whoot.

Next, we went to CostCo. We piled thing willy-nilly into our cart: video games, vegetables in bulk, yummy breads, treats. It was quite busy there and I think the thrill of our free Kohl's shopping had really gotten us in the mood for buying. Lucky for us, we also had a gift certificate for CostCo. We walked out, cart nicely loaded (if poorly aligned), without paying a dime.

For lunch, we got a table at Macaroni Grill where we built our own pasta dishes. Be warned that the M.G. idea of "pesto" is nothing like real pesto, although it is tasty. Two loaves of bread and much whispered giggling later, we paid the bill with...can you guess? Yep. A gift certificate. The tip was cash, but that was it. And they say there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Our final stop was Albertson's for groceries. I wish I could say that was prepaid as well, but it wasn't. Any gift certificate we got for Albertson's would be gone immediately. It was hard to mind paying for food, though, when the day had gone so well.

No comments: