Sunday, December 28, 2003

Crap

My brother's birthday was yesterday, and although I DID remember to send his b-day gift in the X-mas box, I did NOT remember to call him. Shame on me. There are so many wonderful things to remember about him, too...

- There was his obsession with the word "cookie" when he was about 10. It drove me NUTS, but that word still makes me think of him.
- And the time we were both in the play "Annie". I played the ventriloquist and he played my dummy. We stole the scene!
- Of course, there is the time he broke his arm running into the couch. The other brother came out unscathed and screaming, while this one was absolutely silent with a broken wrist. He also waited 3 days to tell anyone about his broken collar bone during his highschool years.
- There were so many times when we wrapped him in things - pop beads, Christmas lights, etc.
- We played baseball at Great Grandma's, catch in the front yard, Indians in the backyard and who-knows-what up on Sand Hill.
- He went in my room without asking, drove me crazy with his questions and his obnoxiousness, and used the same word over and over until you thought you would lose your mind.
- He always made me feel like being a big sister was an important job. No matter how awful he could be, I was ready to go to battle for him at the drop of a hat.

These are the things that I remember. He is and always will be my little brother, despite the fact that he is now taller than me, going to college and well on his way to being a very cool adult. I don't think he will ever be so old that I don't feel the urge to give him wet willies and noogies while teasing him about his girlfriend. I will never stop worrying about his temper, his health, or his sensitive, artistic soul. I can only hope that I remain 1/2 as cool in his eyes as he does in mine.

Happy Birthday, Bro!

No comments: