Saturday, December 06, 2003

It is really December?

In my mind it isn't really Christmas until there is snow on the ground and frost in the air. Winter doesn't officially start until I have to drive through at least one crappy snow storm or get my car pulled out of one snowbank. Chilly nights and nippy mornings are a sign of early October, not mid December. My midwestern mind can't handle these subtle SoCal season changes.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I LIKE living here. I hated having to bundle up to run out to get the mail. I hated turning on my car 15 minutes before I actually had to go anywhere or, worse yet, sitting around for 15 minutes after I should have left waiting for the windshield to clear because I FORGOT to start the car early. I hated having to carry snow boots around with me, keeping track of my mittens and feeling obligated to wear a hat (something I NEVER do) for health's sake.

I am just saying that I have a hard time getting into the holiday spirit when I feel like Halloween is still just around the corner. For the last couple of years, Christmas has snuck up on me, leaving me under-decorated, unfinished shopping and unable to enjoy the season the way I used to. And with the new job I don't even have enough time or energy to keep my house clean, much less deck the halls.

If I didn't feel so crappy, I would get off my lazy behind and put up our 2-D tree. Maybe tomorrow. Or, if I am not yet feeling good enough to face a room-ful of hellions, on Monday. In the meantime I play the Nutcracker as often as I can in my classroom. My kids laughed when I started to dance to my favorite parts during our spelling test on Friday!

No comments: