Friday, March 18, 2005

"If it ain't one thing, it's another..."

"...or another, or another. The life I lead's in perfect harmony - out of key."

My daddy wrote this song when I was a kid. Back then, I just thought it was funny that my sister and I were mentioned (one of us couldn't find our clothes for school and the other was falling asleep in the oatmeal, can't remember which is which). Now, I understand a little bit of what was really being said. Fortunately, I have never had a very picky ear, so my out of key life is pretty much okay with me. It's when everything is being played in minor notes that I get upset.

Some of the off-key chords I've heard recently...

~ My students are doing an art project. They need to cut up construction paper and glue it down. I gave each them a zip-lock baggie to store their tiny construction squares. Silly me forgot to remind my 4th graders that it was unsafe to put plastic bags over their mouths, so when I turned around they were doing just that. I freaked out and gave a huge lecture about the dangers of such behavior and the importance of common sense. I told them that anyone with their baggie by their mouth would have to have an envelope instead so they couldn't hurt themselves. Two minutes later I turn around to see a boy with his bag over his mouth. Sometimes I worry about the fate of mankind, I really do.

~ We have made a contact with some friends of a friend in Mexico. Hopefully, they will be able to help us make this upcoming trip as authentic as possible.

~ I have a stack of papers to be entered into the computer that you wouldn't believe. And I don't care. Hmm. Spring Fever?

~ I have recently been gifted living things by two different people. A co-worker gave me a beautiful, red Peace Lily and my Daddy and his wife sent me a wonderful little zen garden complete with Zen grasses, sand, rocks and rake. I have to keep all at school for the time being because That Darn Cat won't leave any living thing alone. I think I will have to get him some cat grass.

I'm sure there is more, but I should be heading to school. I am quite pleased that it is Friday, except for the fact that I have lots of laundry, shopping, cleaning and errands to do this weekend. If it ain't one thing...it's another.

No comments: