Thursday, March 31, 2005

Thursday's Journal Entry

Thursday, March 31, 2005

We have come to the conclusion that being in America is very much like being in the Kiddie Pool. Everything is designed to be safe and one is protected from all dangers including one’s self. Mexico, on the other hand, is the big pool. Not only that, but there is no railing on the steps and the diving board is labeled “Use At Your Own Risk” - if it is labeled at all. I like being in the big pool - there’s lots more room to swim - but it sure makes me realize how coddled I have been.

Yesterday morning, we headed out with two goals. We wanted to find breakfast and we wanted to take the bus to Pichilingue (one of the beaches). We stopped at the bus station first, and lo and behold, the bus was leaving in 2 minutes. So, instead of getting breakfast, we got on the bus.

You know how in America the buses have maps all over showing the route and all the stops? And how the drivers (or a PA system) tell you which stop is next at all times? And how all the cities and towns and even crossroads are clearly marked so you always know where you are? Well, that isn’t the case in Mexico. Or maybe it is and my lack of language made it seem as though it wasn’t, but I was watching very carefully. Anyway, we ended up getting off about a ¼ mile from our actual stop (my fault for freaking out and thinking we were going to miss it) and walking the rest of the way. By the time we got to the beach, we were both hungry and stressed at having been lost (although only slightly). The restaurants weren’t yet open, so we walked up and down the beach some, took some pictures, ate a little snack from our bag, and decided to head out.

We walked back to where the bus had dropped us off and found a taxi. Rather than calling it a day and going back to the hotel like wusses, we decided to go to Tecolote (another beach that had been recommended to us). I’m glad we did because it was more like what I was expecting. We managed to find a good lunch and made plans for a snorkeling tour on Sabado (Saturday). We took more pictures and lounged on the beach just long enough for my face to become slightly blotchy (ugh). Rather than stress about how to find and catch the bus back to La Paz, we grabbed another taxi, getting home safely.

We cooled off in the room for awhile and then did some walking. Mikey managed to find a churro stand and I got to do some window shopping. We watched the sun set over the water and looked for shells on the beach. Later, we had dinner at a nice little restaurant where the waiter tried to explain what a huarache was even though he didn’t know English and we didn’t understand the Spanish. I ordered it anyway and really enjoyed it. It turns out that it was beans, lettuce, cheese and tomato on a thick corn tortilla-like bread. I got the one with nopalitos (chopped cactus leaf) added. I ate cactus!!

I was exhausted by the time we got back to our room and went to sleep shortly thereafter. Today, we are going to meet with friends of a friend back home who have retired here. We are also going to brave the Mexican roads and rent ourselves a car. I just have to remember that even if things don’t go exactly as planned, it will be okay. We can’t possibly get so lost that we won’t eventually find our way back to La Paz. Especially since anyone we ask will be able to help us. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that the directions I got are good ones and the roads are easy to manage.

No comments: