Monday, March 21, 2005

Talent

I am helping with our school talent show again this year. There are a few kids who are really talented - they can do ballet or gymnastics, sing, play an instrument, or even just put on a funny skit. But the majority, maybe even 75%, of the kids who tried out were doing nothing more than jumping around to loud music. This kind of dance is fun, but I am not sure it qualifies as talent, especially when all one is doing is copying the bump and grind moves of today's famous females. Do parents really think this music (and even worse - those moves!) are appropriate for their kids. If they are relaxed enough to allow their kids to listen to songs about dressing up as a french maid and doing it on the kitchen floor, do they think it is appropriate for school settings? I don't understand.

In my class, we have a talent show each year on my birthday (I hate working that day). It is completely done by the kids, invitations, decorations, performances, you name it. This year I am requiring each child to spend at least 1 minute (no more than 3) telling us about something they do well. They know that it can be anything from yo-yo tricks to jokes to sharing artwork to reading a poem. They also know that there will be NO booty-shakin' in my room. I can set limits even if some parents can't. (Actually, I have great parents and no worries about what my kids will be doing.)

No comments: