Sunday, March 06, 2005

Because of Winn Dixie

My pal, D, and I invited our students to meet us at the local theater to see Because of Winn Dixie this weekend. Together, we had about 8 kids show up, which was just fine with my migraine battling self. Although I was worried that the movie wouldn't hold up under the adoration I have for this book, my fears were unfounded. A splendid time was had by all.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this story. I first read the book last year, after ordering it through Scholastic book clubs. As soon as I finished reading it myself, I started reading it to my class. We were all sucked in by the perfect blend of reality and humor. The kids talked about it for the rest of the year, often referring back to different characters or events while reading other stories. They drew pictures of Winn Dixie and Gurtrude and Otis's jar of pickles.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the book (and they handled well in the movie) was the up front way that it dealt with difficult issues. Alcoholism, abandonment, loneliness, death - all are mentioned in an understanding, but hopeful way. These are issues that more and more kids face every year. I really liked having such a kid-friendly way to open and guide discussions about these things.

Anyway - I would highly recommend both the book and the movie. Share them with a kid you love. :)

No comments: