Thursday, August 26, 2004

Back-to-School Night

I can stand in front of a whole auditorium full of kids and be just fine. I will have most of them eating out of my hand in under 5 minutes. But put me in a room full of parents and I want to crawl under my desk. Wish me luck as I explain my procedures, curriculum, and expectations to the grown-ups I will be working with this year. Hopefully, they find my wacky sense of humor funny and not disturbing. I am making myself the following promises:

1. I will not trip and fall on my face. (I hope.)
2. I will not imagine them in their underwear (shudder).
3. I will not throttle the parents of the boy who has no backpack. (Not that they will show up, but just in case.)

I just have to get through tonight and I can go back to talking to a room full of 9-year-olds. Who, by the way, are still the best class in the whole school and working on capturing the title of Best Class in the Whole World.

No comments: