Saturday, August 28, 2004

Got A Spare?

The following is an excerpt from my cousin's blog. Several years ago she was diagnosed with an extremely rare disease called Goodpastures Syndrome, which attacked her lungs and kidneys and nearly killed her. She spent the good part of a year on intensive dialysis, after which she received a new kidney. After a slow, but steady decline, we got official word that things are not looking good...

My kidney is failing. This should not come as a suprize to anyone. I need a new transplant. This also should not come as a suprize, but it's still hard when it's officially proclaimed. My kidney is not to the point that is making me very ill yet, but there is no breathing room, and I have maybe 6 months before I'll have to go back on dialysis. Dialysis is not an ok option in my mind, hence the idea of getting on with a new transplant. So if you know anyone who would like to donate a kidney to the "keep amy alive association" It would be greatly appreciated. Those wanting to donate should contact me via email or at my home phone next week (I won't be home till then, and I may not be able to really deal with it till then)

So there it is. A plea for help. Amy is a mother, a daughter, a wife and an all around amazing person. She lives more in one week than I will manage in my whole life. She dotes on her 5 year old son and just wants to be healthy again. If you know someone who might be interested in the donor process (for more info check here or here), please contact us. Chances are the donor will be from our extremely large and extremely wonderful family (in fact, one of my kidneys has recently been complaining that it longs to belong to someone who will take it to RenFest), but if there are no good matches there, she will have to look elsewhere.

No comments: