Thursday, August 19, 2004

Class Rules

Last year, I had two "rules" posted on the first day. "Respect" and "Responsibility" were the things I expected from my students. I found that these terms were too vague to really help them guide their own actions.

This year, I have termed my "rules" as The Six C's. Along with more specific wording, I am going to be more active in helping them interpret these words and apply them to their choices. This is what they will see on the first day:

The Six C's - Making the World a Better Place for Living and Learning

1. Compassion ~ deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it
2. Cooperation ~ the practice of working together toward a common goal
3. Creativity ~ having originality and expressiveness of thought, action, and speech
4. Courtesy ~ polite behavior
5. Conservation ~ preservation from loss, damage, or neglect
6. Cleanliness ~ the state of being neat or tidy

I know that the definitions may seem too difficult for 4th graders to understand, but over the course of the year, this will help them expand their vocabulary. We will be discussion what each of these words means and brainstorming examples together. My expectations for the year will be founded on these "rules".

No comments: