Sunday, May 30, 2004

Amen

This post is dedicated to all the men and women who have died fighting wars that would better have been fought by the political figures who started them, but most especially to Pfc. Moises Langhorst and Pfc. Matthew Milczark. May you all be in a more peaceful place.

Although I don't read Acidman's blog regularly anymore (I took his advice about staying away if I didn't like what he was saying), but I am occasionally drawn there, much like your eyes are drawn to the sight of ambulances on the side of the road. You know you don't really want to see what's there, but you have to know all the same. Anyway, there are the rare days when I am not enraged by the posts Rob makes. In fact, there are days when I am 100% in agreement. This was one of those days.

You all know how I feel about war and killing. That doesn't negate my gratitude for the men, women, and (let's face it) children who have risked and often given their lives to ensure that mine is easy and comfortable. I despise the kind of thinking it takes to put our people in those situations, and I will do everything I can to change it, but I don't blame the soldiers for doing what they were trained to do. I could go into this more, but it is too nice a day to ruin with political pontification.

Thank you all for your sacrifice. I'm so very sorry that it was asked of you.

No comments: