Saturday, November 06, 2004

Still Happening

Wow. It has been a long time since I wrote anything pertaining to the transplant, hasn't it? This isn't so much because nothing is happening (it is), but more because the things that are happening are stunningly uninteresting. And I have already bored you with them once or twice. Things like trying to catch my coordinator in person rather than playing phone tag for a week. Or getting ready for my absence by planning for a sub even though I know that too much planning is utterly useless. Oh, and don't forget having 4 official observations in the space of three weeks so that I won't fall behind while I am gone. Ugh.

In the medical realm, things have pretty much been paused. I am currently waiting for a letter from the doctor that will allow me to miss school for three weeks, and a package that will enable me to do the blood draw that needs to happen before I return to MN. (Which means I need to allow the Vampire Lady access to my sensitive inner elbow once again...sigh.) Other than that, I have just spent a lot of time being embarassed over the attention it is garnering me - a newspaper article, a visit from a local nephrologist (complete with model kidney which was donated to my class!), an announcement from the principal to the entire school PLUS several gathered parents at a Friday Morning Line Up, and hearing the phrase "That is SO amazing!" more times than I can count.

Speaking of undeserved attention...
Mikey has been showering me with gifts. I think I mentioned getting the last book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series before the last round of testing. Since then I have received the entire Harry Potter set, a DVD of Stephen Lynch, a great set of markers, some cool pencils (that I selfishly kept for myself rather than sharing them with my students), and a DVD of Linkin Park. I feel spoiled and selfish. Or I would if I didn't know that Mikey is going to enjoy these things (well, most of these things) right along with me.

So, you probably won't hear much more about the donation until things actually start to happen - near Thanksgiving. And then you will hear more than you care to know as I recover. I bet you can't wait!

No comments: