Saturday, February 07, 2004

More about Books

I have been doing some light reading in preparation for the book clubs I am starting in my classroom. I am of the mind that I shouldn't be asking my students to read and discuss stories that I haven't read. I need to be able to guide their thinking and answer their questions - something I can't do if I don't know the story. Therefore I have recently read the following 4th grade books:

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan - This is a charming story about a pioneer family. Dad and two kids have been living on their own for some time when they decide it is time to advertise for a new mother. Sarah arrives by train from the East and the children do everything they can to convince her to stay. At 58 pages, this Newberry Medal winner is a nice, easy read.

A Jar of Dreams by Yoshiko Uchida - In this historical fiction, a young Japanese American girl learns to appreciate her culture and believe in herself. Her aunt, visiting from Japan, helps the family through some tough times, as they face discrimination.

No comments: