Monday, February 16, 2004

A Very, Very, Very Fine House

I have been thinking about what my dream house will look like. My image of a dream house has changed quite a bit since I was a kid and I wanted a 5 story mansion with a million rooms, one for every different activity I like to do. I now realize that more rooms means more cleaning and more stories means more stairs. My dreams have become something much more realistic, and therefore more attainable.

This weekend we went to a friend's house and I got to see what I have been missing - land. She has a beautiful house with several acres and plenty of elbow room. I stood on her horse barn and looked off into the distance, relishing the silence and the emptiness. It really made me wish we were closer to reaching that goal ourselves. There are even lots available now - 5 and 10 acres. None of them have buildings, and most don't even have water or electricity, but the idea of having room to roam almost makes it worth it. I guess it is a good thing that we are not even close to having enough money, because the last thing I need now is the hassle of selling and buying property, not to mention moving. But I am sure lusting after that view!

I sat down and drew out a houseplan that I liked yesterday. After some touch-ups today I present it to you in all it's glory.



Each sqare in the picture is approximately one foot. You enter just above where it says "front". On the left, is Mikey's office, complete with HUGE desk. The living room is immediately to the right, with the dining room and the kitchen above. Notice the "cooking triangle" formed by the fridge, stove and sink. Down the hall you find a half bath on the left and the laundry room on the right. A little further is the library with bookshelves covering evey wall. The lower left corner of hte house is the master suite - bedroom, bathroom and walk-in closet. The upper left corner has two guest rooms and a shared bathroom. The master bedroom and one guest room have their own deck space and there is another deck wrapping around from the front door to the library. Each main room has sliding door access to the long deck. The square in the upper right corner is Mikey's spa.

No comments: