Friday, June 17, 2005

I love them

I don't want my class to leave me.

I stood in the shower this morning, thinking about all the things I haven't said to my kids. I still want to go over the "it's/its" thing again. We didn't get to explore CA statehood as much as I'd like. Although I did talk about the power of words some, I forgot to warn them about those damned Iron Cross shirts. There is so much they still don't know and I am scared to be sending them on without this vital information.

On a more selfish note, I'm not done enjoying them. J-----'s sense of humor and L---'s artwork, A-----'s newfound confidence and S-----'s slowly (OH SO SLOWLY) improving grades - I'm not finished listening and helping and tearing my hair out. After 10 months of thinking of these boys and girls as "mine" I am not ready to give them up. What if they don't come back to visit? What if I never see how they end up?

It is slightly easier this year because I know that I will be moving up to 5th grade with them. I will have a new class and I will become even more bonded to this group of kiddos, but it won't be the same. I was blessed with a cohesive, caring, cooperative, energetic group of kids who LOVED being at school. I can hope for that next year, but I still feel like I have a bird in the hand and I am getting ready to let it go.

Well, there is no more delaying it. Time to head to school. I'll keep thinking about what I have to tell them today and I will try (maybe) to keep from crying too much as I watch my fledglings leave my Room 9 next for the last time. Yikes.

No comments: