Saturday, June 18, 2005

Lemons/Lemonade

So after a whole day of pins and needles, waiting to hear about the closing of our house (all while trying to wrangle 30 soon-to-be 5th graders on what is The Most Exciting Day of the Year), I got the call. "Both houses have funded and it is going to title company. It will record this afternoon and you should have your keys by 6:00 pm." I did a little dance, yelled the good news to my co-workers, and e-mailed my darling. (Because, as you may have discovered if you have been trying to contact us, our phone got shut off earlier than planned, so call the cell. That will be our new "personal number" anyway.) All was right with the world.

UNTIL

30 minutes later, I received another call. "Title didn't clear the wire transfer in time, so they pulled the file and it won't record until Monday. I'm really sorry." Damn. I took a deep breath, cried to my co-workers (who have all done this before, each saying "Yep - title companies suck*.), and e-mailed Mikey again. I finished cleaning up my classroom, which has never looked so good on the last day of school (If I decide not to go back until August, I don't have to!), and headed home for an evening of moping and vitral spewage.

My biggest concern was the U-haul reservation we had for 8:30 this morning. When making said reservation, I got the distinct impression that U-haul had very little sympathy for the needs/situation of its renters. I girded myself to ask for a reschedule and if they refused, I was going to tell them we were taking our business elsewhere. Someone was looking out for us though, because our reservation wasn't in the system at all. We were relieved not to have a cancellation fee, and the manager was relieved that she could appease us with a trailer on Monday. She didn't have the size we wanted (17 ft.), so she gave us an upgrade for free. AND it turns out that milage is cheaper on Mondays.

So, today I am officially apologizing to the powers that be for all my whining and griping from yesterday. I was all geared up emotionally to move today, but I can see that there are reasons why it didn't work out. Thank you.

It is my understanding that the title company now has all the money it needs and things should go through smoothly first thing Monday morning. While we are waiting for confirmation, we will be stuffing our belongings into a 24 ft. trailer (with the help of a few WONDERFUL friends) and getting ready for the first night in our new house. :)

No comments: