Sunday, June 12, 2005

Inner Ear Problem or Just Really Oblivious?

I was happily vacuuming the bedroom, which was emptied of all its contents yesterday, when Mikey yelled at me. "Don't you FEEL that?"

I switched off the machine and looked around, confused. "Feel what?"

"Seriously? The earthquake that is rattling the shower door." The look on his face suggested that I must be kidding. I'm sure the look on mine reflected the same, since I had felt nothing. I guess between the swaying back and forth and the noise of the vacuum, it was enough to mask the light effects, because when we did a little internet research we found the following report:

Magnitude - 5.6 - local magnitude (ML)
Time - Sunday, June 12, 2005 at 8:41:46 AM (PDT)
Distance from Anza, CA - 9 km (6 miles) ESE (106 degrees)

It was followed by several small aftershocks as shown on this map. Although I didn't feel it at all, the cats sure did. Just moments before, I had to break up a serious, fur-flying fight between Huzzah and Oliver. I thought both were acting a bit out of sorts, and now I know why.

There have been at least 3 earthquakes of similar size (not all quite so close, though) while I have lived in CA, and I have felt not a single one of them. It seems that the first earthquake I feel is going to be the one that sucks my house into the bowels of the earth. How sad.

No comments: