Thursday, June 30, 2005

This and That

So. No, I have not disappeared. Nor have I given upon blogging. It is just that my normal blogging computer is still not connected to the internet and I feel guilty asking Mikey to give up computer time, since that is his work and all. Lucky for me, he has moved his work into the office, leaving the laptop available for internet goodness. So, perhaps you will hear from me more regularly once again. Or perhaps not.

Exciting Event: Our propane tank arrived on Tuesday, proving us with oodles of hot water for washing dishes and selves, as well as a stove upon which I can turn raw things into cooked things. I have been doing lots of both. Yesterday, I went on a baking spree, making both banana and apple bread and wild rice breadsticks to go with the wild rice soup we had for dinner. This morning I made a valiant attempt at pancakes (how could I forget to put in whole stick of butter?) that will filled with apples and (you guessed it) wild rice. I figure if I am going to take the time to make it, I better make a bunch! It was fun doing all that cooking and having fresh, homemade food around is wonderful, but it leads to lots of dishes AND depressing visits to the scale. Sigh.

The house continues to be wonderful. We organized the garage the other day, putting up the shelves we used to us in the kitchen and a new tool cabinet (thanks to my FIL). It went well - read: no missing brackets or screws - but it would have been easier if I weren't spending the whole time checking the area for creepy crawlies. I know that all manner of biting and stinging creatures would like to spend their hot summer days on the cool concrete slab, especially since we saw one, a scorpian, with our very own eyes. Although I do not normally squish bugs/ants/spiders/etc (even the pincher bug ones that I really hate), I have come to the realization that I will not hesitate to smoosh a Scorpian, a Black Widow, or a Brown Recluse, all of which might be living nearby. The thing is, they are poisonous. If it were just me, I might risk it, trying instead to be very watchful, but there is NO WAY to train cats to avoid creepy-crawly things. Plus, I have heard just how nasty Brown Recluse bites can be. No thanks. I am not going to search them out for destruction and if they want to maintain peace around here, they better follow suite.

Finally, a brief note. My posts have been remarkably boring lately, I know. "First, I did this. Then, I did that. It was fun." I'm not sure if all my creative energy is going into setting up the house or if it is the time contraints on my internet use, or if it is just a phase, but I haven't even had any interesting thoughts to share. Sometimes I have them and they don't make it here, but my brain has been quite pedantic lately. In fact, a large portion of my day has been spent staring out the window, watching the plants and the sand and occasionally, but not necessarily, a bird or rabbit. For now, that is A-okay with me.

No comments: