Saturday, June 04, 2005

Revelation

I was looking at this picture



when I realized that we were moving into a trailer. I mean, I knew that we were buying a manufactured home and I knew that a manufactured home was a mobile home without the wheels, but I had been adamently convincing myself that this one was different. "It doesn't look like a mobile home," I kept telling my friends and family.

Well, if you look at that picture you know I was just fooling myself. It looks very much like a trailer home. No real home is that rectangular shape. It is very distinctive. I know this because I lived in a big, green, single-wide trailer for many years as a child. I have never forgotten how the corner of my bedroom was peeled away by an errant stump as it was pulled up the driveway. From the time I realized that I would eventually be living in my own house, I swore that nothing could make me live in a trailer again. But, here I am, about to move out of my stick-built home into another trailer.

It turns out that I am okay with that. I suddenly understand why my parents made the choices they did. I look at that picture up there and I see, not only a doublewide trailer, but also land. We are going to have a buffer around us, keeping the world slightly at bay. Look at how far we are from our house - everything between belongs to us. I have decided, like I imagine my folks decided before me, that I am much more concerned with having the land around me, than I am about the differences between stick-built and modular homes.

No comments: