Saturday, December 07, 2002

Tis the season

Hooray! The tree is up, the wreath is hung, the windows and doorways are draped and there are lights on my front porch. It is officially the Christmas season in my house. Huzzah "helped" me decorate by rolling in the garland, pouncing on small ornaments, trying to eat the bows, attacking the tree and generally making a nuisance of himself. Adorable. Zazzy just watched. Mikey provided encouragement and speculation as to what might be in the multitude of packages with his name on them. I think he is excited. :)

Despite my joy at decking out my house in holiday spirit, I am also feeling some of that famed holiday melancholy. Growing up my house was steeped in tradition, and it always made me feel good to know that even when I wasn't home, I could guess what was being done. The 15 foot tree was being hunted with spiced cider and singing. The Nutcracker was being read to the little ones at bedtime. Mom was making eggnog. Everyone was together and somehow the differences and disputes were put aside for a time. This year, I don't know what they are doing at home. There are new people, old traditions are being abandoned and new ones developed, presents are being mailed to numerous addresses instead of just one. Everything is changing and although I can handle that any other time of the year, I don't like it at Christmas. I want every one of my Christmases to be just like the ones I used to have - back when I thought everyone and everything would always be the same. Back when I was young enough to think that all those sad and mad feelings actually went away instead of just being masked for a month.

Yep. That Christmas melancholy. But it doesn't last long. Pretty soon I hear a favorite song, or pass a smiling face and remember that change isn't always a bad thing. Change means growth. New people sometimes mean new friends, new loved ones. Old traditions aren't really lost, they are adapted. This is the season that brings out the best in people. Hearts are filled with love, voices are filled with cheer and for one month the evening news acknowledges the miracles that are happening every day. I lap it up until I can't hold anymore joy. I wallow in it until I am wrinkled and pruny. I love Christmas. I wish you a happy holiday season, whatever holiday you choose to celebrate, and I wish you enough.

Peace be with you.

No comments: