Sunday, December 29, 2002

We watched Insomnia this afternoon. It is a very dark movie that explores what happens when someone becomes severely sleep deprived. There are other factors involved, of course, but the main idea is that when you lose sleep you suffer from all kinds of hallucinations and faulty thinking. Your ability to analyze a situation and make decisions becomes seriously impaired along with your attention to detail and reaction time. Lack of sleep got Detective Dormer into some serious problems in the movie. The whole thing was shot very dramatically. Lots of playing with light and angles and flashbacks. I had to pay very close attention during the whole thing to follow the story. I would recommend it, but only if you are ready to see the not-so-nice side of humanity. I was particularly disturbed by how adamantly the killer denied his guilt. "It was an accident. I didn't mean too. It's not my fault." BLEH.

No comments: