Wednesday, December 18, 2002

Wanna know how big a geek I am? Mikey and I went to see The Two Towers today. Opening day! I am such a geek! : ) It was very good, although there were quite a few things that made me wonder...just some inconsistencies or very unrealistic moments. Not enough to detract from the story however.

There were some very good antiwar scenes - a close-up of a scared little boy (about 11) all decked out for war knowing that he was going to die - but much of that message was counteracted by the fact that no one important ever dies. I realize that this is an epic adventure and it just isn't right for main characters to die...but unfortunately that leads to a very twisted view of war in our young people. They grow up thinking that war is bad, but only in the sense that strangers die. People we LOVE don't die. Main characters can't die. I wish.

I really enjoy the strength of the bonds between the characters. There is very obviously love between them all...Pippen and Merry...Legolas and Aragorn...Aragorn and Gimly...Frodo and Sam. They take care of each other and stand by one another. But it's more than that. They tell each other how they feel. They cry for each other. They openly and honestly love. To me, that is the most important part of the whole story.

I also liked the Ents. The biggest mistake the bad guys made was pissing off the trees. You can't mess with the land without paying a price! : )

So that is my review. It was good. Go see it. Enjoy.

No comments: