Sunday, October 27, 2002

I envy people who have memories. Not that I have none, but I have so few. People talk about their first memory being when they were 2 or 3 or 4. I can't think of anything I truly remember that goes back farther than about 5 or 6. Why? Have I blocked things out? Do I just have a crappy memory bank? That is probably it, because it isn't just my young years I don't remember. I have trouble remembering things from a few years ago. I was thinking in the shower. The number of truly vivid memories I have from my elementary years can probably be counted on two hands.

I remember getting hit in the head by a volleyball while my dad and his friend, Mr. Thompson (who had a tank of piranhas in his class) were playing some one on one. It hurt like everything, but I didn't cry and Mr. Thompson told me I was tough. I must have been in about 1st grade.

I remember listening to my parents argue at the dinner table. They weren't really shouting or anything, but something in the tone made me put my fingers in my ears and yell "Stop it!". I don't remember what the argument was about or how they reacted. I have no idea how old I was.

I remember sitting at a kidney shaped table for reading groups and the teacher asking what page we were on. I said the number quietly and then for some reason that I don't understand now and I don't think I understood then, I shouted it as loud as I could. Everyone, including the teacher, stopped, looked at me and then went back to finding their page. No one said a word. This would have been in 5th grade I think.

OH! I remember standing in the cloakroom of my kindergarten (or maybe 1st grade) class and laughing because my friend Rick (we called him Ranger Rick - does anyone get that?) tore his snapped up jacket open and shouted "Superman!!!!"

Why do so many of my few memories involve shouting? Hmmmm. Veddy Eenterestink...

No comments: