Friday, October 11, 2002

I slept in this morning and as usual, I had strange dreams. It was a long, epic thing about how my sister, a couple of friends and I all time-travelled to a place where the others were hoping to find someone (dates? that would be too wierd, but I think that is what it was!). We wandered around and eventually realized that not all was as it seemed and these people were attempting to hurt my little neice and nephew. Being the heroic aunt I discovered the deception in time to rescue them from being drowned, only to find that I couldn't find a place to put them that would be safe. The only place I could find away from the evil people and the pools and the ocean was an abandoned bathhouse sort of thing. I knew that there was the possibility that someone would find them, or worse yet, that they would somehow turn on the water and drown themselves. That is about when I woke up.

As an aside to this dream, I met with my father and my stepmother at a restaurant. We ended up talking about blogs and they told me that they no longer read my blogs because none of my posts were "interesting or inventive". I tried to explain that I have been working long hours and that I have been trying to find little ways to make a difference and improve the world. They weren't impressed. They simply said that they didn't read it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I was in tears with frustration. Not so much at their disinterest, but at the harsh way they were dismissing all my attempts. I finally left the conversation and returned to the bulk of the dream (going on to do something heroic - perhaps trying to make up for something?).

Now, before anyone starts thinking how mean and nasty my father and stepmother must be (they aren't, they are wonderful and they are some of the only people I know of who DO read my blog) you must realize something. Like my dear hubby said when I told him about the dream - "Wow. It's really sad that you can never be good enough for YOURSELF!" Obviously, it was ME who was being so coldly dismissive. During the day I am telling people how hard I am working and at night I am telling myself that I am not working hard enough. I have some serious issues!

No comments: