Monday, October 07, 2002

Life is GOOD!!! I just got a phone call from the teacher I subbed for long term last year. His wife is also a teacher who is job-sharing. The teacher that she shares her class with is talking about having to quit because of family concerns. Lucky me, the first thing they did was call me up to see if I would be interested in taking over if she does quit. Nothing is certain. The teacher might end up staying, but to know that they thought of me and liked what I did last year enough that they want to work with me again...that feels SO GOOD. Now, instead of having no job opportunities, I have two. More like an opportunity for an opportunity, but that's a start!

I had some moments of seriously questioning my ability to be a teacher and to read how others are reacting to me. I truly felt that I was going to be offered a job and it just didn't happen. I was worried that it was because they didn't really want to have me there and all the positive things I had heard were just more of those "little white lies" that people tell so as to not hurt your feelings. Now I am thinking that the reason I didn't get a position over the summer is because I was being to cocky. I was talking to my grandma and came to the realization that I have never really had to try hard to get what I want. I mean, I work hard at whatever I am doing, but my future always seemed to just fall into my lap. I wanted to be a teacher, so I was accepted to a great education program. I wanted to sub, and I did. I wanted to get a long term position and there it was. I wanted to teach summer school and someone handed me a class. It's like everything just happens the way I envision.

When that didn't happen this year I was shocked. And worried. Could I get a job if I actually had to go out and GET one? I think that it was a test. If I didn't get everything handed to me what would I do? Curl up and cry? Or get out there and try? Give up or pound the pavement? Whine about it and feel sorry for myself or make the best of what I DID get? I hope that whoever was testing me has seen that I am willing to work and work hard. Maybe that is why it is suddenly raining opportunities around me. Or maybe I am crazy and this is just how it is and it has nothing to do with me or what I want. Either way, I like it. : ) And either way, I am greatful.

No comments: