Monday, September 22, 2003

Deep thoughts

Um. I was having them on my way home tonight. But now I can't for the life of me remember what they were. Oh well.

Every time I write the word "remember" and I am reminded of the time in elementary school that I forgot my gym shoes. In their infinite wisdom, my gym teachers decided to make us write sentences when this happened. Because that is a good way to teach responsibility. (Why, YES, that WAS sarcasm.) I had to write "I will remember my gym shoes." for an hour. Only I wrote "I will rember my gym shoes." instead. When I turned the sentences in, the teacher pointed out my mistake and I have spelled that word correctly from them on. And I ALWAYS think of that moment when I do. Weird.

AH! I remember what I was thinking.

It is interesting how quickly a situation that is overwhelming, impossible or unbearable becomes just the opposite. As humans, we are amazingly adaptable. After 4 short weeks, I have become so accustomed to my schedule that it seems perfectly normal to me. I have adapted to spending 30 minutes getting to school rather than 5. I have learned to accept this lifestyle that is so different from the one I was living this summer. The fact that I am enjoying just about every part of this lifestyle makes it much easier, but I know that humans can just as easily become accustomed to negative things. Through-out history, there are many instances of people letting horrifying and terrible things happen because they got used to it. I am glad that I am enjoying the chaos and franticness that is my life currently. But I will not forget that complacency is not always a good thing. I will continue to walk with my eyes open and my mind active.

That's that. Random Ramblings from a Biking Isha.

No comments: