Thursday, September 18, 2003

Perks

For every job to do, there is a boss to make sure you do it right. Quite often, as in the case of Dilbert, that boss is a moron who can't find his own ears with a mirror and a magnifying glass. When you are stuck in this situation there isn't much to do. You just keep on keeping on and hope that they don't mess anything up too badly. This situation develops when the person in charge is so out of touch with the job being done that they fail to realize or understand the various constraints on an employee's time, materials or ability. Teaching is one of those jobs that has trained, experienced people being managed and monitored by well-meaning individuals who don't have a CLUE what teachers face in today's classroom. It seems that every day we are being micro-managed and second-guessed more often.

It all sounds pretty dreary doesn't it? I say all this only to emphasize my next statement.
My principal is one of the most understanding, caring, supportive people I know.

I met with him today, feeling frustrated and upset about certain aspects of having a combo class. One of the biggest challenges with my class is providing equal and appropriate instruction to each grade level. Translated, that means teaching 2 level's worth of work in 1 day's worth of time. It is difficult, to say the least.

My principal came in, listened to my concerns, presented me with ideas and told me exactly how he was going to help me. After 35 minutes or so I felt way more comfortable with the combo and infinitely more sure of my own ability to cope with the challenges. Support. Encouragement. Help. Time. All the things I was in such desperate need of were provided with understanding and care.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I couldn't possibly say thank you often enough.

No comments: