Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Wow. Some people just see the world in a different way. I was driving through the apartment complex that my guitar teacher lives at when I came upon a woman walking in the road. She was returning from getting her mail or some such thing. In this same situation *I* would have gone to the side of the road with the idea that you can't trust people in cars to look out for people on foot. *She* was apparently quite comfortable with my driving skills and continued to walk happily along my driving lane.

And to just accentuate my different outlook on life...rather than getting upset with her (initially) I thought, "Well, it IS her apartment complex. She probably feels she has more of a right to the road than me, a complete stranger." Never mind the fact that I never felt that way about the roads in the apartment complexes I lived in. Or that even if that IS how she was thinking it is not a decent excuse. Whatever.

I am very tired tonight. I have burned through my initial burst of HOORAY energy and I am now quickly sucking dry the few reserves I had stored away from summer. It hit me today just how much work I have ahead of me and just how completely inexperienced I am. I can see the tidal wave of expectations (mostly mine) looming over me and I am suddenly noticing that all I have to protect myself is one of those little paper umbrellas you get in a fancy beach drink. (I have to say I am a little impressed with that simile though!)

On a happy, although exhausting, note - I have officially been told that I will NOT be losing my classroom due to low enrollment. Hip, Hip, Hooray! Now to prepare for Back to School Night and the inevitable onslaught of parent concerns and questions. [breath in, breath out...I CAN do this. I can.]

No comments: