Sunday, September 28, 2003

It's just a game!

I rarely play video games. Not because I don't enjoy them. I do. I am all for games that require me to sit on my butt and eat sour cream and onion chips. Except for one thing. Well actually two things that combine to make one big reason why I shouldn't play. First, I am not very good at them. I can't remember which buttons mean what or what little tricks you use to beat that one guy. I always forget to watch my life meter. Or my ammo meter. Or both. Ugh. Second, I HATE to lose. Really. It truly ticks me off to fail at a mission or die halfway through a level. It makes me frustrated and angry and cranky. Since I'm not very good at any game, I lose a lot. This means I can play for about 10 minutes before I need to walk away or risk throwing a controller.

Normally, this isn't really a problem. I don't actually find time for games very often and when I do I stick with the Sims and Top Shop, two games that take a LONG time to lose, allowing me to enjoy myself for awhile. It's all good. Except that my hubby makes video games. Well, computer games, but same difference, right? And he doesn't make easy, luck will get you through, win if you have a basic understanding of the rules and 1/2 your braincells in working order kind of games. His games are the kind that require you to pay attention to a monster's characteristics and think ahead and pick up the right weapon at the right time. I can do exactly NONE of these things. So he makes these games and I try to play them because I know he likes to see me play and then I get frustrated when I die and he feels bad and I feel bad and it's all around a bad situation.

There is a lesson in this, I know there is.

No comments: