Sunday, September 28, 2003

They only told me about the "teen" years

Everyone always talks about how horrible the teenaged years are and how straining it is on the child/parent relationship. Even when I was deep in the black pit of teenagerdom I knew that it was a phase that everyone goes through. I knew that things would go back to normal shortly after I graduated from high school. And they did.

Now I am finding that there is a strain on my relationships with my parents again. I think it is largely related to my physical distance from them. I can no longer just hang out with them. Our interactions are conducted via phone line in 60 minute bursts. When I am talking to them there is a constant need for something interesting to say. No down time, no watching a movie together, no working side by side in the garden for hours with only a few sentences exchanged. I am starting to feel like my parents (especially the ones who don't read this blog) no longer know who I am. My family members are becoming strangers to me and despite my best efforts, I can't seem to stop it.

So, I am wondering, is this normal? Is this something that happens to kids after they move out and start their own grownup lives? Is this how things are? Because I don't like it. It sucks. (Sorry, K.)

No comments: