Saturday, September 06, 2003

So I have survived the second week of school. I have a few observations that didn't make it to the digital journal throughout the week.

On biking:
When you are biking home, downhill, and enjoying the wind in your face, nothing ruins the mood faster than getting smacked in the forehead with a big bug. Except getting smacked in the back of the throat with a big bug. Yuck.

On teaching:
I was doing some guided writing with the kids the other day. I had written something on the overhead and they were copying it. I could almost see the thought bubbles coming out of their heads, all thinking about the words they were writing (in cursive, of course). I contemplated asking one of the ones who was done writing about their previous weekend until suddenly I imagined all those hard working thought bubbles bursting with a large POP - only to be replaced by 20 new thought bubbles, all filled with images of biking and going to the movies and video games. I kept my mouth shut and smiled to myself as they finished writing.

On housework:
Now that I am working full time, I have NO TIME to do housework. And since Mikey is also in a crunch time for his work he isn't doing much in the way of cleaning, either. We do what we can on Saturday and by Friday the place is a wreck. Ordinarily, this would drive me crazy. Not any more. I am too tired to care about the state of my kitchen. There are more important things to do (like sleep) and more important things to think about (Mikey). Suddenly, housework is very low on the list.

On guitar:
I am still taking my lessons. I am not practicing as much as I feel I should be, but I am practicing more than I thought it would be. My instructor is being very patient with me and I am enjoying it. Although, it is a challenge sometimes to get out of school on time to get to the lesson, I am feeling good that I am doing this thing that I really want to do. I am maintaining this one thing for myself, while pouring all the rest of my energy into school. It is good to have something that is seperate from school.

On Zazzy:
My baby is still acting out. She is hiding in the closet of the guest bedroom for large portions of the day, eating Zah's food all the time and making herself a general nuisance. I suspect that she is unhappy with my long hours away from home and I am making an effort to give her lots of love when I am home. Poor girl.

No comments: