Sunday, September 28, 2003

Signs, signs, everywhere the signs...

I watched Bruce Almighty at the second run theatre with my honey yesterday. I liked it. Especially the overall message. Be the miracle. Don't sit around with your eyes squinched shut and your hands folded tightly, waiting for God to answer your prayers. Get out there and make things happen. Help to those who help themselves and all that jazz. Bruce spends much of the movie demanding that God send him a sign and then ignoring such blantant ones as a glowing truckful of "Caution" and "Stop" signs warning him of trouble ahead.

Then, this evening, we watched Wide Awake. This is the first movie directed by the guy who did Sixth Sense and Unbreakable (and yes, Signs). A kid, who has recently lost his grandfather, spends his 5th grade year searching for God. He just wants to make sure that there is someone up there taking care of his grandpa. Throughout the whole movie, there are odd moments that you later realize are more important than they seemed.

I had no idea that either of these movies were quite like they turned out to be. I can't help but wonder if the reoccuring theme of missed signs is a sign of some kind. Is there something I have been asking for? Have I been ignoring the answer? I wouldn't be surprised. With the kind of busy I am these days there are lots of things I am forgetting and ignoring and just plain not even seeing. I will have to ponder this. At this point it would be highly embarassing to miss some kind of sign.

No comments: