Monday, January 10, 2005

Back in the Saddle Again

My first day back was a smashing success! Despite my jitters at coming back after such a long absence (I always worry that maybe I lost the magic), I got through the day without looking too adle-brained. I managed to find almost everything that the sub used and put back differently (differently, mind you, not badly), and what I couldn't find, I managed to do without.

The kids - even my normally stoic boys - were quite generous with their hugs and notes of adoration. Between the excitement of my return and the frustration of a week+ of rain, they were chattier than I like, but that will smooth itself out as they adjust to me again. I was called by my sub's name repeatedly, but that, too, shall pass.

I had a hard time confining myself to my little stool by my desk. Normally, I wander around the room constantly. After about an hour of that, I realized that I was going to have to pace myself. Each time I realized that I was just wandering, I would tell myself to go back to my desk. It would work for a few minutes and then I would find myself wandering around again. It's a good thing I am on the teacher side of the whole classroom situation! The principal came in after lunch to check on how I was doing and remind the kids to make me take it easy. They will, too!

I have already used the kidney to get something I wanted from the kids. (All in fun, of course!) One little boy was complaining that he had to do something and I told him "Think of my poor kidney!" It worked like a charm. He laughed and did as he was asked. I suspect that for the rest of the year all requests will be coming from ghost of my kidney. "Please get out your math - the kindey ghost wants to see it."

Oh, and one more funny thing. While I was gone, they lost the bathroom pass. My ever-creative sub told them to use the model of a kidney that we received from the visiting nephrologist. Now, when they have to pee, they go walking down the hall carrying a kidney. And they don't just grab it and go - they carry it reverently by the base, keeping it upright and safe. It is quite a sight to see!

I am feeling quite good, but I definitely noticed a decline in my energy level by lunchtime. I warned the kids to be extra good in the afternoons, since I will have less energy and consequently less patience. We'll see how that goes! Mostly, I just have to make sure that I get home early and take it easy in the evenings. It feels good to be just about back to normal again.

No comments: