Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Props

C.Monks dedicated his latest post to Sandra Bullock, because of her incredible generosity. I am hoping that there are others with large amounts of money that they don't need (pretty much anyone who has been in a major motion picture or anyone who has made a top 40 hit) who step up to the plate as well.

I am going try to give those people a little love here in the next few days. Not that that will mean anything to them, but it's better than not thanking them at all. Please let me know if there is anyone who is deserving - famous or not. This is my list so far:

Amber and Ryan Hunt - Despite having two kids to raise (a common excuse for those who don't give - kids ARE expensive, after all), they managed to part with a substantial chunk of their earnings. Amber is also giving what spiritual assistance she can. Thank you, both.

Hamumu Software - It may not add up to the same as the big name companies can give, but Humumu is donating 25% of all sales for the month of January.

No Substance Software - I admit that I don't know much about this company, but what I have seen so far, impresses me. I have heard good things about the game, but what I really like is their attempts at improving the world.

Sandra Bullock - Just imagine if everyone who could afford it, gave this much...

Dooce.com - Dooce has the Google AdSense program set up on her blog. Through BlogAid, she will be giving all she earns in January to Red Cross. If you have a blog, you may want to think about joining her.

Wow. Poking around BlogAid, I found a list of blogs who are donating. I don't know most of these folks, but I want to give a big "THANK YOU" to all of them for caring.

If you are interested in donating:

BlogAid's list of agencies
Google's list of agencies
CNN's list of agencies
One click donating at Amazon.com

As Dooce (and I am sure many others) pointed out, the world supported us in our time of need, and now is the time for us to continue to circle. I know that there are always bills to pay and mouths to feed, but take a moment to compare what you have to what those in those devestated countries have right now. Please give what you can.

UPDATE: While I was in my favorite little ice cream shop (killing time before going to the gym, I'll have you know!), I learned that Doctors Without Borders has stopped taking donations for their tsunami relief fund. They said it was important for them to spend the money the way you intended and the $20 MILLION they have already received is all they can handle for this particular fund. They are asking those who still wish to donate to give to one of their many other funds. How honest. And how amazing. $20 million dollars. It's times like these when I actually like my species! :)

No comments: