Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Back in the Shadows Again

That sounds dark. I'm not really in the shadows, but it was the first thing that came to mind as I tried to think of a title about returning to school. I guess you could say I am in the shadow of the building because after a week of wandering around in the Mexico sun being trapped inside all day sucks. Anyway...

I am back at work. It was so much fun to walk to the line Monday morning and see all those familiar shining faces. Even though I had barely thought about them for two weeks on a conscious level, I was 100% honest when I said a heartfelt, "I missed you guys!!!". I did miss them. For two whole weeks I didn't have anyone shadowing me to ask if they could use the bathroom 3 minutes after they return from recess. I missed that. I didn't have parents calling to ask advise on how to get their kid to do his homework. I missed that. I didn't have to listen to the pencil sharpener, talk over kids who wouldn't shut up, or restate the rules for using the playground equipment. I missed that. I didn't have to answer difficult questions or puzzle out the meaning of rambling commentaries. I think that is what I missed the most. I've had some good questions/comments lately.

"So...is it possible, after you die, to be born again as another person, but with still as yourself?"

"If you are made up of molecules and you eat something and it is made up of molecules (because everything is made of molecules), then do you have MORE molecules in you afterward?"

"Is that character mentioning gold stars so often because he doesn't have any and he wishes he did?"

And my favorite question...
"Can I tell you something about my trip/vacation/new baby brother/favorite game/etc.?"

We are currently knee deep in some of my favorite 4th grade curriculum. We're studying matter, electricity and magnets in science. For social studies, we are reading a book about the CA gold rush. This book is also tied into our writing focus - responding to literature. Our math is focusing on algebra, which I have presented as "a bunch of puzzles where you just have to find the mystery number" and the kids are really enjoying. We're at a point when every activity we do all day long is a pleasure to teach. I have to give the credit for this to my kiddos, who have so much fun learning that I have gotten very excited about presenting them with each new topic. Sure makes getting up early (after 2 weeks of NOT) more bearable. I can't wait to get deeper into the gold rush and start working on geometry!

No comments: