Monday, April 25, 2005

Things on my Mind: Episode Three: I can't make any more bad Star Wars jokes here.

Since we have started telling people about our new house, we have heard the same three things from darn near everyone. Our parents, our siblings, our friends and neighbors. All have the same thought process. This is odd to me, as none of the three things is a problem in my eyes.

1. You will have to watch out for coyotes.
While I am aware that there are coyotes in that area, I fail to see how they are going to present much of a problem. We will not be letting our cats outside unless we are there with them. This will be during daylight hours, inside the 6 foot high chainlink fence that surrounds the entire property. If I do happen to see a coyote, I will watch from a safe, indoor spot (possibly taking pictures) until it leaves. We won't be setting traps or poison out to get rid of them, but neither will we be leaving trash or other tempting things out to draw them near.

I lived in the middle of the woods, 20 miles away from the nearest city, for the first 18 years of my life. I have never been, and never will be, afraid of the idea of a little nature in my front yard. I am fully aware that animals are unpredictable (and sometimes dangerous), but that doesn't mean I can't share my two acres with them. When they develop opposable thumbs and start coming into my house uninvited, then I will be concerned.

2. Dust storms could be a problem.
It is pretty dry and dusty in the dessert. And we have been known to have the occasional dust devil whirling its way through the neighborhood. This will happen at the new house as well, I am sure. However, the only problem I see here is that things will get dusty. I can handle that.

3. That's a long commute.
The majority of the people in this state travel an hour (if not multiple hours) to work one way. They do this amid a sea of other cars, all travelling at the whopping speed of 3 mph. On this journey they get to stare at cars, asphalt, cars, large buildings, cars, other drivers, cars, and smog. On my 35 minute commute, I will get to see a lake, mountains, trees, hills, wild flowers, and valleys. Occasionally, I will be stuck behind someone going 60 instead of 65. This is also something I can handle, especially when it means that I will arrive at a place far away from the noise and chaos of the city each night.

I know that not everyone has the same desire for solitude that I have. Not everyone is comfortable with so much distance between them and the nearest grocery store, hospital and/or police station. That is why there are so many people in the very city I am trying to escape. But I happen to be very comfortable with the silence and independence that come from leaving city living behind. And I am lucky enough to have a husband who shares my values. I am thrilled at the thought of having a beautiful house, on a gorgeous piece of land, where I can shuck off the stresses of society on a daily basis. To me, that is the ultimate peace, and I would drive any distance and face anything nature can throw at me to have it.

No comments: