Saturday, October 05, 2002

For the past few days I have been feeling very stressed by my class deadlines. I am not used to writing papers and reading chapter after chapter! Yesterday and today I woke up with a nasty crick in my neck that I am sure is related to my tense shoulders and my bad computer posture. I spent most of the summer doing nothing and feeling very lazy. So when school started I felt very motivated to work. I started subbing again, I took on a tutoring job and I went back to a weekly babysitting job I was doing last year. Adding the class in was maybe biting off a bit more than I can chew. However, I am enjoying all of it and I don't really want to give any of it up. So for now I need to really work on managing my stress.

There are many things I am doing. This journal is one of them. I come here to write out my frustrations, fears, joys, and sadnesses. I use this as a connection to someof my closest friend and family. I can whine and complain or laugh and joke. Often all I need is to feel like someone is listening! Another thing I do is plan. I spend time making lists and organizing myself so that I rarely get caught unprepared. I get ready for work the night before so that I can relax in the morning. I try not to put things off. It doesn't always work, but it helps. My friends and family are also a big source of relief from stress. Mikey makes me laugh until my sides ache. Or gives me shoulder rubs. Or breakfast in bed. Dang - he's pretty awesome! : ) And my parents and siblings are always there to talk to. I have friends here that I see when I need to see an adult that I am not related to. On my own, I try to remember that I need to make time away from work/school. Instead of working non-stop on the computer all day long, I make myself go for a walk or play with the kitties. All are ways I will get through all the busy in my life without losing it!

What stress relievers do YOU use?

No comments: