Saturday, October 12, 2002

This morning, Mikey and I spent several hours volunteering our time at a book sale. I, being the people person, stood at the entrance, smiled pretty and handed out bags (all you can stuff in a bag for $3. not bad, huh?). I also answered questions and made sure that the people leaving with bags of books had remembered to stop at the cash register on the way out. Mikey, being my shy boy, arranged book, straightened tables and generally made the place look nice. It was a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday morning and I feel very good about it.

The only unpleasant thing about it were two women who came very early. The book sale didn't start until 10 am. From about 7 am on there were people (including a couple of boy scouts - isn't that cute?) helping set up and sort the books. It looked very crowded already and we kept having to tell people to wait until 10. Most of them were very understanding, but these two women ignored all the people who politely told them that they shouldn't be there and went plowing through the nicely stacked tables and boxes. Finally, one of the ladies in charge went over and said they would have to put the books down and come back later. One of the women began shouting in a shrill, LOUD voice that she was there to buy books and if they were having a book sale they should let her do exactly as she pleased and that she wasn't going to wait until 10 because it would be too crowded and that there was nothing anyone could do to get her to leave. I mean, she was really shouting. It got to the point where I thought we would actually have to call the police to have her removed. They finally decided that they were done looking over the books and were going to leave. Well, we didn't have the register set up yet and weren't ready to deal with them (it still wasn't even 9:30 yet) and someone told them that they would have to wait. This set her off again shouting about how she was being treated and this was no way to run a business. She eventually got out a 20 and started trying to force it on anyone who came into range saying "Here? Is this enough to make you happy? Does this make you happy?" To get rid of her, the boss man finally took the money and told her to leave. It was a disgusting display of spoiled, rotten, the-world-owes-me, egocentric, horrible behavior. I am sure it is wishful thinking, but I hope that woman realizes just what an ass she made of herself and is at least a little embarrassed. It was pretty bad. However, the stink that she was making made it very easy for us to convince the other patrons that they needed to wait until 10. No one wanted to be like her!

The rest of the time was lots of fun. There was even a creepy, crazy guy who hit on me right in front of Mikey. *shudder* I am just glad that Mikey was right there. I was able to just say "I'm so glad you found the books you were looking for (self-help books, no less!). Have a nice day." and turn to Mikey as if he was about to ask me a question. Now I should really got to work paying the bills. bleh.

No comments: