Monday, July 25, 2005

Gandhi

I've started reading a biography of M. Gandhi's life, and I must say, it is comforting to know that it wasn't until he was my age that he slowly started making a difference. The beginning of his life was filled with shyness, self-doubt, failure, and struggles like everyone else. Not to mention that even as he developed his public life of volunteer work and good deeds in the name of human rights, he was still dealing with the trials and tribulations of family life. Gives me hope that I might still do something great despite my discomfort with groups, my imperfect personality, and my lack of experience. He accomplished what he did through sheer force of will, or as he called it satyagraha - "soul force". I like to hope that I have some satyagraha myself, although I am still in the early stages of learning how to use it.

No comments: