Monday, May 12, 2003

At lunch yesterday we were discussing the pros and cons of not having children. Being Mother's Day I was seeing many happy little family units all around and wondering if I was giving up something really important by not creating one for myself. However after some discussion I realized that I would rather have the occasional moment of doubt than a nonstop barrage of messes and noise and chaos and responsibility. I would rather be able to help many children at a time in my classroom then be exhausted by the one in my home. I like being able to spend as much time with my husband as I want rather than stealing tired moments after the kids have gone to bed. Yep, I envy moms for the cuddles they get, but I don't envy the extra laundry or cleaning up vomit or waiting until 3 AM for the teenager to come home or the food bills or the doctor's bills or any of the rest of it.

Moms - I am amazed and awed by your ability to deal with it all. You have my undying respect and admiration. And if you need a babysitter, give me a call. I'm always available. Unless I have run off on a spontaneous weekend with the love of my life. I couldn't do what you do.

Happy Mother's Day

No comments: