Wednesday, May 28, 2003

What a whirlwind trip that was! Our time was blocked out in hours rather than days. By day three my brain was toast. That reminds me...I really need to call Todd and apologize for the snippy-ness of me on Sunday afternoon. So here's a brief run-down of the less than restful vacation...

5-21-03
Woke up early. Called teaching partner to make sure she had everything she needed for the next week. I have a habit of bringing things home with me. Packed, cleaned and generally prepared for trip. Headed to P-I-L's house where we napped, went to dinner (Mmmm...Chevy's), and lounged in the spa. Stayed up later than I should have.

5-22-03
Up at 5:30 am. Arrived at airport 2 hours early like a good girl only to have several people cut in front of us in line because they were late for their flights. I am going to start showing up 30 minutes before take-off. Showed ID and boarding pass to 3 people within a 5 minute/20 foot span. Flew from SAN to ORD to MSP via first class. (Hooray for in-laws, frequent flier miles and full flights!) Aahh, the leg room and cheesy omelets. Landed at 5:30 pm and hung around airport inhaling cigarette smoke (yuck) and waiting for ride. Stopped for dinner on the way home, finally arrived at mom's and stumbled to bed at about 11:30 pm.

5-23-03
Woke early. Spend entire day with Mom, running errands. Stopped by high school and introduced old teachers to new hubby using first names all around. : ) Helped plant flowers at Grandma's house. Made a run to the Dairy Queen (only fast food joint in town). Visited with close friends, shopped for groceries and gossiped with mom. Busy, social day. Stayed up late talking with Mom.

5-24-03
BIRTHDAY!! Get up at a decent hour and head to Duluth. Visit with Dad and his sigoth all day - see his current house, his future house, and the Matrix Reloaded (again). Yummy shish kabobs for dinner followed by cake and fruit salad. I got to wear a tiara with my name on it. Don't head home until after 10 pm even though it's an hour drive. Up late.

5-25-03
Help mom get ready for graduation party. Get to graduation early so we can get enough seats together. End up sitting with Dad and sigoth on one side and Mom and sigoth on other side. Wierd. The valedictorian speeches were funny. The grown-up speaker was a long and boring. Brother managed to graduate dispite his best efforts not to. Head to grad party where popping balloons nearly give my sleep deprived body a heart attack. Getting snippy at this point. Father comes to take us to Brainerd area for dinner with him, stepmom, and grandparents. Wonderful food, great company, but I was in no shape to truly enjoy it. Open some lovely little gifts and head to bed around midnight.

5-26-03
Up at 7:30 am. Exhausted to the point of feeling sick to my stomache. Managed to enjoy yummy breakfast and visit with uncle and family anyway. Dropped off at Grandma's house where I use all my remaining strength to make small talk. Finally get back to Mom's where hubby and I crash for a nap. After that I help Mom in garden and with cooking. We have a fabu meal of Chicken Paprikash. Too tired to stay up late.

5-27-03
Berry crepes for breakfast. Mom and brother drive us to airport. Fly from MSP to ORD to SAN via first class. This includes a wonderful meal consisting of 4 courses. Amazing. Nap on plane. Drive home. So tired by the time I arrive home that I can't actually fall asleep. Read until about 11:30 pm and then sink into unconsciousness. Cat, desperate for attention, wakes us several times throughout night.

There it is. The whole trip in a nutshell. It was tiring, but I was very happy to see all my family. I can't wait for my trip in July.

No comments: