Saturday, May 31, 2003

Maybe it's me. Really. Maybe there is something about me...my walk, my face, my female-ness...that inspires salespeople to new heights of obnoxiousness and stupidity. I went to Circuit City to get a computer today. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. I was commissioned to get it for my brother, because my mom is quite computer illiterate and intends to stay that way. Anyway, I went to CC because there was a great deal in the flyer we got this week. Computer, monitor, printer, extra memory all for under $400 after a few mail-in rebates. A good deal. Or so I thought.

After standing in the computer section for 10 minutes a sales rep finally showed up (when I am "just looking" they're all over me like white on rice).
Me - "I want to buy that (pointing at computer) and that (pointing to extra memory)."
Him - "I would recommend getting this one instead. It's the upgraded version." (It's also $100 more.)
Me - "No, I think I will just stick with the basic and the extra memory."
Him - "It's really a better computer..."
Me - "No, I..."
Him - "You are a stupid, idiot, dumb girl who knows nothing if you don't buy this better version." (Or something similar to that.)
Me - (Having had enough of this little game) "I don't WANT that one. I want this one and the extra memory."
Him - "Fine. Have it your way. Bitch." (He actually said "Okay." but this is what he was thinking. I heard it loud and clear!)

Tap, tap, click, click. He does some quick calculations and discovers that the best way to piss me off is by claiming to be out of the printers that are included and telling me that he is going to have to substitute a HP printer instead. (I have had BAD experiences with everything HP and as a rule choose not to give them my money. I find that if I just burn a wad of twenties instead I at least get to enjoy the heat for a while.) I calmly explain that I am willing to take any other brand they have. Unfortunately, this is the only printer available that I won't have to pay extra for. Nevermind that THEY didn't have the product they claimed to have. Instead of offering me the next step up and apologizing for the inconvenience, they tell me that I can either take the crap-tacular HP or forget about it. And to add insult to injury, he tries to convince me that it's good that I am getting a $50 cheaper printer because then I don't have to mess with the rebate. Of course, that really just means that instead of getting a $90 printer for $40, I got a $40 piece of crap for $40. Lucky me.

I finally decided that my brother really wouldn't care that HP printers are crap. And that I'm not really giving HP my money, since my mom is actually paying for it. And that I couldn't take one more minute of that guy's condescending attitude. I did get them to ship it to the house, however. A small victory, but a victory none-the-less.

Ugh. Why can't I ever deal with helpful, understanding salespeople who listen to what I need and then courteously work with me to achieve my goals? Is that really so much to ask?? (I know, I know...)

No comments: